Hernia in Bootcamp, discharge or Med Platoon?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hernia in Bootcamp, discharge or Med Platoon?

Title pretty much sums it up, if I were to get a hernia while in bootcamp, would I get discharged or sent to a medical platoon?

Obviously I would hope its the latter..but I guess I'm just curious.

Wow... we really need to start a "best of" section. And put this question at the top.

But to answer your question (and keep in mind, I'm no corpsman), I would guess you'd be put in MRP (medical rehabilitation platoon). It takes a lot to be medically discharged in boot camp. Probably only some kind of permanent damage. If it will heal completely in less than a year, I'd say you'll just hang tight on the depot until you can rejoin a platoon. A guy joined our platoon who had been in MRP for about 6 months.

Well, according to your profile, you shipped in May of 2011. If it has since changed, how about updating it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You would get medical treatment....

Then TBD if the docs say you will be fit to continue training you will be sent to MRP or whatever it is called now for recovery until the doc releases you to full duty or deems MEDSEP.

Then you would go to a separations unit awaiting orders for discharge.

Just curious....why are you concerned specifically with hernias?

Have you had one before?

*Profile Updated*

Yeah, well yes and no. Got a "partial" hernia right after enlisting..my recruiter thought it would be funny to throw 8 plates on a leg press and convince me to do it, so I did. Small tear in lower right abdomen.

Saw a doctor, he said let it heal and I did. I've been to a few since then and they have all told me I'm fine. There was never any intestine poking out in case you were wondering. Just a little local swelling.

In regards to this thread and my last post, I'm only worried about it because seeing as I didn't have surgery it technically is a weak spot. So theres a possibility something might happen while I'm going through hell...I mean bootcamp.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    The doctor cleared you...what does your recruiter say?

How long ago did this happen?

I have had weak spots in various places in my body....not while on active duty.

And everywhere they have found a weak spot...either a patch was needed or I had a blowout....something to consider.

Boot camp physically at times can be demanding...with weight bearing...exercise....hitting the deck/ground ....eventually a weak spot is going to give one way or the other.

If the weak spot is inguinal the docs at MCRD will detect it when you drop em'...turn your gourd...and cough.

And an inguinal problem is a disqualification....and this reverts back to original question .....you might be sent home since you did not start training.

Good luck to you!

Recruiter told me to shut my mouth, let the Corps deal with it if it happens in boot.

This happened back in January, I haven't held myself back in pt..nothing hurts.

In all honesty I would prefer to get it taken care of..but I can't get a solid answer out of my recruiter..ever.

I am due to ship out Oct 11, obviously if I were to get surgery it would void that date..my last NCO said that he would have to disqualify me..would I be able to re-enlist after being dropped?

If the chance to become a Marine means me having to tuff it out until something does or doesn't happen, then so be it.

Inguinal Hernia - Surgery
    http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disor...hernia-surgery

================================================== ==========

Military Medical Standards for Enlistment & Commission

Abdominal organs and gastrointestinal system

Jun 10 2009
    The disqualifying medical conditions are listed below. The International Classification of Disease (ICD) codes are listed in parentheses following each standard.

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction (without an approved waiver) are an authenticated history of:

Abdominal wall.
    Current hernia, including, but not limited to uncorrected inguinal (550) and other abdominal wall hernias (553), are disqualifying.

History of open or laparoscopic abdominal surgery during the preceding 6 months (P54) is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini.../abdominal.htm

Thank you, fraudulent enlistment isn't something I want to partake in.

I have no problem waiting until ~next summer to ship, I can get some college credit and increase my physical endurance even more.

I have one more question though, how do I go about doing this while making sure that I won't shoot myself in the foot for when the time comes to re-enlist?

My recruiter has already made it apparent that he does not want me to back out of my ship date..

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I can't advise you what to do....but I wouldn't leave without it being fully taken care of.

Not only for fraudulent enlstment...but...your health and your body is what carries you in the Marines...you need most organs to function fully without injury....

There are recruiters that come on here and frequent this site...maybe we can get them to give you a better answer.

The only other suggestion I have is to go to the SNCOIC of the RSS and explain the problem to him....don't call go see.....this is of course after running it by your recruiter again.

Hernias and weak spots can rupture....rupturing can lead to more extensive medical problems and healing.....although without being with any other health problems your recovery time should go smoothly and as stated you should be back again in a couple months and up to speed in six.

One of my platoonmates got a hernia. They stuck him in MRP until it healed, and he graduated a couple months after us.

Don't sweat it. The only time that you would ever get a hernia is on the hikes. If the DIs are making you play games with footlockers, remember to lift with your legs. You should be fine.

This is, of course, assuming that you're being honest about it being a small tear. If it's a big-ass tear, you're a walking timebomb.

Honestly I *think* that I can go either way..Suck it up and shipping, or getting it fixed.

In my mind, I am truly leaning towards getting it fixed. With all of the physical and mental stress of boot camp, I think the last thing I want to be constantly on my mind is an injury.

That in mind..if my chances of getting back into the DEP will be hurt by me doing this I am completely fine just sucking it up and shipping. Its not noticeable.

I'm going to wait for a recruiter to chime in on this, thanks everyone.

*Edit* SSgt. Blooper (lol) makes a good point, if this does tear again, it will be a MUCH worse injury. I know many people that are permanently screwed because of this, they say it feels like their getting stabbed whenever they work out abs..I dont need this happening..

My experience dates from too long ago to likely be helpful, but they found a hernia on me at MEPS. Long and short of it they actually told me they would ship me and fix it there (no kidding..but this was '82) or I could get it fixed myself and then get re-eval'd, which is what I did. Never had another issue.

I'm guessing since this is something that can be fixed, they would MRP you and leave you there.

I should probably add that I am a dual citizen, and live on the border.

My surgery would be free if I choose to take care of it myself, I'm just not sure if this would inhibit me from re-signing.

Thread Information